Here's how to find a list of current jobs openings at the National Park Service, how to obtain information about these positions, and how to download the necessary application forms .
Difficulty Level: Medium Time Required: Varies
- Begin, by taking a look at the National Park
Service careers page at http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/jobs.htm. It covers general employment information, the
application and hiring process, seasonal employment, and basic information on various positions such as park
ranger, park police, guard, administrative and other positions.
- Look for a list of current job openings on the the Office
of Personnel Management (OPM) register at http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/.
- From the OPM web site, click on "On-line
Application" and review the online resume builder and on-line
supplemental qualifications statement.
- Return to the home page. Then click on "Current Job
Openings" and then select "Agency Job Search."
- From the drop-down agency box, select: 'INTERIOR, National
Park Service," and then specify other criteria (if desired), such as
geographic area, date, etc. Click on "Submit" button.
- The resulting list of job openings is arranged
alphabetically by position title. Make note of the GS number and the closing
date for applying.
- Click on any position that interests you to learn more about the job opening
(e.g. requirements, salary, etc.)
- Carefully read over all the pertinent information about the position. The
vacancy announcement will include a section with "How to Apply"
instructions. Most announcements will require the completion of a special form
or forms, which can be downloaded in PDF format.
- If you have any questions about the job announcement,
call or write to the appropriate person listed near the beginning of the job
announcement under the section "Contact."
- If you are interested in applying for the position, download the application
file, complete the form, and mail it to the address provided in the
- Pay special attention to the application deadline listed with
each job announcement.
- If you are only interested in a summer job, then select "Summer"
instead of selecting "Agency Job Search" in step #4 above.
Applications for summer jobs are usually accepted from December through April
15th. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and qualify for a position
based on work experience and/or education.
- When considering where to apply, be flexible. Don't necessarily limit
yourself to a specific park or even necessarily in a specific state. Consider
an entire region of the country or open yourself up to anywhere that you
haven't visited before. Also, consider applying for several different positions.
- Before filling out an application, learn as much as you can about the place you are applying to work. By demonstrating an interest in and knowledge of an area, you will improve your chances of landing a position.